Sunday, August 24, 2008

Thoughts...

I have been reading "At Home in Mitford" by Jan Karon. I love it when you read something in a book that makes you stop and meditate on the thought. In this wonderful read an older women who has lived a very full life asks this question to her friend...

"Did you ever think that just when people grow old and have so much to tell, that's when people want them to hush?"

As I though about this question I realized that the thought was very true. I feel strongly that God has placed a special spot in my heart for the geriatric population. I work in two nursing home and rehab centers. The age population ranges from around 70 to 100+ years old. Let me just tell you that I learn something EVERYTIME I take the chance to slow down and just listen! When you look into these sweet people's eyes you can just see they have so much to share and so much wisdom just bursting to come out. However, our society sees them often as burdens and too slow to keep up.

I also took this thought one step further...

"Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanders or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God" Titus 2:3-5

God gives us so many opportunities to share the wisdom we have been blessed with. More then that he has blessed each of us with older and wiser women to honor, respect, and learn from. I looked around our church family this morning and noticed how blessed I was to be be in a family that has "grey hair". I am encouraged to be around these special women and learn from their full lives. I also looked around and noticed the range of young girls/women that I have the opportunity to instruct and encourage. We need to be women who lean and learn from each other.

Listen to the sweet elders around you...they have "so much to tell."

Philippians 4:8

3 comments:

silken said...

we will be celebrating the end of our summer reading club tonight w/ awards and ice cream for everyone....all ages invited! wish you could be here!

Holly said...

Such good thoughts Lacie--and so true. Good reminder to seize the opportunity of wisdom all around us--of all ages.

Rochelleht said...

You know, I really tried to get into her books several years ago, and I just couldn't. I remember visiting Boone, NC where she lives and they had lots of her books around. I really should give it another shot, because I know she is super popular has a great message.

Thanks for the great thoughts!