Monday, December 31, 2007

The Past Year

Often I am looking so forward to a clean slate or the feel of a new year I don't take the chance to ponder and think about the wonderful year that is slowly slipping by as the new year shows itself.

This year there have been many blessings such as watching a little baby boy grow and change while his adoring big brother also changed and grew into a boy...no longer a toddler...but a boy! Little Bit is walking and the adventures have only begun. Over the past year he has moved from being a a baby to hold to a little munchkin that wants down to roam. He has done well in his MDO class and seems to really enjoy his teacher. For Kannon the year has been full of change from a new home, new friends, new church family, new school...however, he has done it with his big blue eyes taking it all in one step at a time. He has also become a great big brother.

There have also been huge changes such as moving from a secure "home" in Houston to embark on an adventure of establishing our family in a VERY small community. I can honestly say that I feel the move had the biggest impact on me. Moving from "secure" friendships and a church family was probably one of the hardest steps that I have had to take. The unknowns were everywhere. However, through this experience I feel closer to my adorable husband. Our relationship has only gotten stronger. I have found a strength in me that I had forgotten I possessed. I have also had to relearn how to rely on God and not on self. Along with the move I have also recently started a job working in two nursing homes as an OT. I was nervous for many reasons, but I have rediscovered my love of elders and the family has adjusted well to the change of me not being in the home for two days a week. With all of the HUGE changes I have been able to plant a veggie and flower garden, can veggies, go to a rodeo, admire the starlit sky, listen to "nothing" outdoors, and discover who I am becoming as a child of God, a wife , and a mother. Oh...did I mention I turned thirty in all of this-Ha!

As for my adorable husband...over the last year I have seen only his strength grow as he has become even more of the leader of our home. He has taken chances for the good of our family and has gently guided us where we are today. He continues to put family before himself and he has such dreams for us. He has grown and changed in ways that are hard to put into words.

As a family we are making our home here. We still have days that are harder than others, but I feel certain we have not lost friendships or a church family, we have only broadened our relationships to expand over a larger area. We have all grown and changed spiritually and physically over the year, and all for the good. We are stronger...As I look towards the next year I am excited for the adventures to come.

Happy New Year!!!!!

4 comments:

Megan said...

What a beautiful post! It is always nice to reflect on the past year and look forward to the next! I am also excited to what the New Year will bring!

Heather's House said...

Well said, friend! I am so proud of you and all the things you and your sweet family have done this year. I miss you like crazy but know you are only a phone call, drive or plane ride away.

Love ya!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

What a great reflective post, Lacie. Change is hard and I'm glad it's brought out the best in your family. Happy New Year!

Tip Junkie said...

What a beautiful post. Happy New Year!!