Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Countdown

Our family has started the countdown to the school year.
I have been trying to be positive about this whole Kindergarten thing, but I have really struggled this summer. It has been hard to talk about Kinder without a bit of tears. I have tried to savor the little moments of lazy mornings and late nights watching the Astros knowing our family schedule will be changing. I know that the K-man will be fine and that he really is ready for Kinder, but I just enjoy spending my days with him. I enjoy both my boys and I just miss them something awful when there gone.
With all of that said I have been trying to prepare the boys for Kinder and Pre-K 3.
Yes, Little Bit is growing up too (sigh).
We have been reading books and talking about being "nervous".
These books may be as much for me as the boys- hee hee!
This week I have spent some time sewing special mat covers, blankets and pillow cases for the boys. I think it has made the countdown easier for me when my hands stay busy. It makes me feel I am doing something to make it easier and special for the boys.

The backpacks are ready...

And we have even worked hard to get a "drop station" in our mud room for all the boys school things. I hope this will help control all the madness- ha!

Last Thursday night we had "meet the teacher" for Little Bit's Pre-K 3 class. It's in the same school he has been at for MDO, so he seemed pretty confident until he realized his teacher was not going to be the same. All the way home he kept saying, "I not like Mrs. Lindsey!" SOOOO...we will see how the first day goes for this little booger. He did let me take a picture of him in his chair, but only if K-man was in it. Over the last few days I have been trying to "talk up" Pre-K. I have even told him I would bring snacks for his class on the first day. In reality he is only going two days a week right now, but he is still having a hard time with the whole idea of changing classes.


Last night we had "meet the teacher" for K-man's Kinder class. He had gotten a letter from his teacher last week and he has been excited to meet Mrs. Thomas. The anticipation increased as we became aware of some of the kids that would also be in his class. I have also heard really good things about this new teacher. I have to admit my heart was thumping out of my chest as were getting ready to leave, but K-man seemed ok. Before we left for the "new" school, I explained it was fine for him to be shy, but he had to be nice to his teacher and at least say "hi".

Well, he did great (and I think I did good too!).
We were the second ones there and had the chance to talk to the teacher and look around the room before it got busy. To K-man's joy a good friend of his from Pre-K arrived and he was SO excited! He also found these....

DINOSAUR BOOKS!!!
All the way home K-man talked about how excited he was while I answered a couple of his questions. The one I was worried about was Little Bit. He is NOT happy about his brother going to another school. My boys really do most everything together including going to the same "school". Little Bit put it all together last night and decided he wanted to go to Kindergarten! Yep, I think the challenge will not be K-man on the first day, but Little Bit!
This morning K-man woke up asking if he was going to Kindergarten today.
Now that K-man is excited and confident, I am feeling better, however I will miss him during the day (I still have to get comfortable with him being gone EVERYDAY!)
I wise woman (my Mom) encouraged me by saying- I can get most everything done during the day so in the evening I can spend "good quality" time with the boys. Sounds great to me!

1 comment:

Holly said...

Glad K-man is looking forward to next week! How nice too that he has a friend in there already.

I hope B. adapts to his CH-CHA-changes too--sweet li'l th guy!

Your mud room org. station looks great! We just hang A's backpack on a chair--we are so high class. :)